How to Choose The Right Shampoo For Your Curly Hair
Curly girls know just how difficult it is to perfect a curly haircare routine. What works for one curly girl may not necessarily work for everyone as everyone’s curl type and pattern are different.
The first step to keeping your curls beautiful and intact is to find the best shampoo for you. It’s the one product you’re going to be using a lot on your tresses so it has to be the right one for your hair type.
So, how do you find the right shampoo? Here are some tips and a few recommendations for you.
- Mild isn’t always good - just because it’s marketed as a mild shampoo doesn’t mean it’s good for your hair. You still need to check out the ingredients in that shampoo and make sure it doesn’t contain anything that wouldn’t be good for your curls.
- Stay away from alcohol - alcohol is a pretty common ingredient in haircare products like shampoo and conditioner but it’s an ingredient you wouldn’t want in your haircare products, especially if you have curly hair. Alcohol strips your hair of its natural oils which can make your curls go haywire.
- Find hydrating shampoos - curls are naturally prone to getting frizzy because of the humidity which is why it’s important to keep them hydrated at all times. No, wetting your hair every now and then won’t fix it. The best fix here is to find a good hydrating one like a shea moisture shampoo that will lock moisture in so your curls can retain their shape and avoid breakage.
- Go natural - using natural shampoo is great if you have curly hair. It’ll make your hair shinier and it’ll also keep it from getting too dry and breaking. Look for one with ingredients like aloe or coconut oil; those are really amazing for curls and they’re sure to keep your locks healthy as well.
- Avoid too much protein - yes, shampoos contain protein and too much of it can make your curly hair dry and stiff. Read the label and see what types of protein your shampoo contains. The most common ones include wheat protein, keratin, collagen, and milk protein. If you’re seeing lots of these listed at the back of your bottle, it might be time to switch.
If you still haven’t found the perfect shampoo for your curly hair, look no further. We’ve rounded up a few crowd favorites that you can try. Check them out below:
L'Oréal Professionnel Shampoo Curl Contour
CHI Aloe Vera Curl Enhancing Shampoo
Visit Salonbar for even more curly girl haircare options and get up to 10% off on your first purchase when you subscribe here.